Home / ENG301 Business Communication

ENG301 Business Communication

ENG301 Assigment 02 Solution & Discussion Fall 2016 due date

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Yosha Qasmi Yosha Qasmi 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Yosha Qasmi
    Yosha Qasmi
    Keymaster

Q1. Conciseness means that you have to convey your message in the fewest possible words without sacrificing the other ‘C’ qualities. The following email is by a sales manager in reply to a person’s email who asked for some information about the company’s catalogue. Read the given email carefully by keeping in mind the principle of conciseness for effective business writing. Locate the wordy expressions in the email and replace them with concise words or phrases or simply omit the wordiness to keep the message concise. (10 Marks)

To Khan@hotmail.com
    Subject Information about the New Catalogue

Dear Sir/Madam
    I want to take this opportunity to tell you that I am thankful to you for sending me an email on 19 January in which you have mentioned a request for information regarding our firm’s catalogue.
    Our recently published catalogue has been shipped to you as of yesterday.
    Apart from that if you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Yours Sincerely
    Khalid Hmeed
    Sales Manager
    Q2. Read the following paragraph carefully and fill in the blanks given below. (10 Marks)
    Erin Meyer used to work in a cross cultural atmosphere. At the start of her professional career, she got a chance to communicate with Japanese. Once she gave a short presentation in front of a group of Japanese participants. At the end of the presentation, she asked if the participants had any questions but they did not raise their hands. So she sat down. Meanwhile, her Japanese colleague told her, ‘I think they have some questions. Do you mind if I try?’ He then stood up saying ‘any questions!’ and again no one raised hands but this time he looked very carefully at the group for a while and said pointing towards a participant, ‘oh do you have a question?’ and that woman said ‘well, thank you I do’. She asked a fascinating question. After that the Japanese colleague did the same with another student. Erin asked him, ‘how do you know these people had questions?’ He told her, ‘Well it had to do with how bright their eyes were. When you asked people if they have any questions, most of them did not look directly into your eyes but a few people in the audience were looking directly into your eyes and they had bright eyes. It indicates that they want to ask you something’. So next day, Erin gave another presentation but this time she did as her Japanese colleague instructed her and she saw a few bright eyes looking at her, also they gestured towards her. This incident helped Erin to read the atmosphere and signs in the surroundings. These signs or symbols are present in every culture creating differences among varying cultures.
    The paragraph directs us towards _________ communication. (non-verbal / interactive)
    When participants did not raise their hands, Erin sat down because she was _________about such kind of response. (judgmental / dissatisfied)
    The above paragraph deals with _________ phenomenon. (individual cultural variables / cultural homogeneity)
    The next day Erin succeeded in getting response from the participants because of _________. (avoiding being critical / accepting cultural differences).
    Japanese culture emphasizes to communicate through _________ in the atmosphere. (words / signals)
    Erin experienced through this intercultural communication that how to read _________. (signs / facial expressions)
    Being unfamiliar to _________, Erin faced difficulty to communicate with the participants. (Japanese culture/ cross-cultural variables)
    The above given incident shows that Japanese culture relies less on _________. (verbal manipulation/ gestures)
    People living in the same culture can easily communicate non-verbally due to shared _________. (agreements / context)
    The paragraph shows that American and Japanese cultures are widely different in terms of _________ in a two-way communication. (formality / quick action)

Profile photo of Yosha Qasmi
    Yosha Qasmi
    Keymaster
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share with Friends