Home / ENG201 Business and Technical English Writing

ENG201 Business and Technical English Writing

Eng201 ASSIGNMENT NO # 02 Solution & Discussion Due Date:05-12-2016

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Yosha Qasmi Yosha Qasmi 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Yosha Qasmi
    Yosha Qasmi
    Keymaster

Business and Technical English (Eng201)

Assignment No. 2 (Fall-2016)
    Total Marks: 20
    Lectures: 10-18

Instructions:

• Upload your assignments in a proper format, i.e. MS word file. Corrupt files will be awarded zero marks.
    • The assignments should be zoomed in at 100%.
    • Please avoid plagiarism; plagiarized work will be marked zero.
    • After the due date, the assignments submitted via email would not be entertained.
    • Please avoid submitting copied assignments; otherwise, such a case would be referred to the discipline committee.
    • The font color should be preferably black and font size 12 Times New Roman.

Q1.Making an inference involves using what you know to make a guess about what you do not know or reading between the lines. Readers who make inferences use the clues in the text along with their own experiences to help them figure out what is not directly said, making the text personal and memorable. Keeping this definition of inferences in mind, read the two passages given below very carefully and write briefly what you think will most likely happen next. Also give a suitable title to each passage. (3+2)*2=10 Marks)

a. Sadia was carrying a large laundry basket from the bedroom down the stairs to the laundry room. She struggled under the weight of the basket. She wished her younger brothers would help her. Instead, they were playing. She heard them throw a baseball in the house earlier. She told them to go outside. They went to the backyard, but left the baseball on the stairs.

b. Ahmad stood at the store counter. It was hard to make a decision. He had just enough money to buy the new game he wanted so badly. However, he had come to the store to buy his mother’s birthday present. If he bought her present, he would have to wait another week to have enough money for the game. As he looked at the game, he remembered that his mother made his favorite soup when he was sick. He also thought about how proud she was when he won the relay race. He made up his mind.

Q2. You are employed in the office of the Pearl Continental Hotel in your area. This morning the Manager of the hotel, Mr. Zaid, said this to you: (10 Marks)

“There’s a bit of a problem, I’m afraid. Please keep this to yourself – it’s important that only the senior staff knows this – we’ve failed our inspection from the Fire Department! I should say there’s no immediate risk or danger. We’ve corrected some of the problems immediately; it wasn’t sensible of us to keep fire doors locked when the inspectors were around. But one problem is that the alarm system isn’t sensitive enough to detect very small fires. Fortunately, I’ve been able to contact the company that installed the alarm, Rausman Brothers, and they can come and do the necessary work in two days’ time.

“It should only take a day to do the work, but on 14th June the alarms are likely to go off all the time. This will be a nuisance for all concerned, staff and guests, but we’ll all have to ignore the alarm for this day.

“I’d like you to send a memo to all staff explaining what is happening. Don’t tell them about the inspection failure, of course, but let them know about the alarm being repaired. We will be working as usual on the day so, if there happens to be a real fire (let’s all hope there isn’t), all staff will have to raise the alarm as best they can and make sure everyone leaves the building. Stress that this is for one day only and everything will be back to normal on 15th June.

“We’d better let the guests know what is happening. I’d like you to prepare a notice that we can put in each occupied bedroom and on the notice boards. Just let them know what is happening on 14th June and tell them politely to ignore the alarm. Try to reassure them that, if there is a real fire, we’ll get them out of the building.”

Task:

Read the above message carefully and write a memo for the staff.

Yosha Qasmi
    Keymaster

Eng201 Solution
    Please Dont Copy Paste

Yosha Qasmi
    Keymaster

Ans: 1.
    She, without noticing, slid over the ball and dashed down the stairs on to the floor in a jiffy. She saw the ball rolling in front of her and knew her brothers must have left it there unintentionally. The basket broke down and all the clothes scattered on the floor. After hearing the great thud her brothers came wriggling inside in extreme frustration and saw their sister lying on the ground and crying in pain. Her brother said, “Oh! Sister are you allright? I swear I didn’t know the ball was there. I’m extremely sorry for my mistake.” And then Sadia said, “It’s okay. Be careful to place your stuff at its proper place after using it otherwise it may cause a serious accidentd. Now help me gather these clothes.”

That he will buy a birthday present for his mother and postpone buying video game for a week. Love for mother floods in and prevails over his own desire. He recollects instances when her mother took care of him when he was suffering from ailment and the occasion when she got overjoyed with delight on his relay race victory.

Ans: 2.
    MEMORANDUM
    To: The Staff
    Maintenance Department
    Room 9-143
    Ext. 476-875

Dated: June 10, 2016
    Subject: Repairing of Fire Alarm
    It is hereby propagated that during the day of 14th June, Rausman Brothers will be conducting repairs and maintenance to the fire alarm system. FOR THIS DAY ONLY please ignore the alarm whenever you hear it, for the alarm will be tested several times on the aforementioned day.
    Incase of getting news of fire or any implausable event of your detecting it, you’re requested to cooperate with all the staff members in proclaiming the emergency in every possible manner and accomodate every individual to evacuate the premises by following the accustomed procedure. Guests will be notified about the fire alarm repairs but you’re instructed to offer any assistance or reassurance if anyone feels apprehensive after hearing the alarm.
    Your succour will deeply be appreciated Don’t copy paste

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share with Friends